"It Takes a Church" with Natalie Grant premieres tonight on GSN

I don't watch The Bachelor or The Bachelorette. I've seen a few episodes but nothing beyond that. Dating games aren't really my cup of tea. Nothing wrong if they are, but it seems to cause a lot of controversy and upset.

"It Takes a Church" is different. There is still a single wanting a relationship. There are still others lining up (or being lined up by a matchmaker) to get to know this single. There are still eliminations. However, there aren't steamy love scenes. There isn't a rose ceremony. There's no pressure of engagement or marriage.

This new show, premiering tonight on the Game Show Network and starring Grammy-nominated Christian artist, Natalie Grant, has a single in a church community who gets matched up to other singles in their church. The congregation narrows it down to 4 hopefuls. Then they get to know each other and get some counseling from the Pastor of the church. It's an interesting concept, but church is probably the best place to meet someone of like values.

My husband and I watched the show the other night and thought it was pretty good. Natalie Grant makes a great hostess. My only qualm with the show is that the name "Jesus" wasn't mentioned that I noticed, although my 4-year-old said "they said Christ, so that means Jesus!" at one point so perhaps He was mentioned. I believe in a show about the church, you ought to at least share His name!!

It was cute; kind of cheesy. The girl ended up choosing the boy we thought she would at the start. There was some controversy about his past as a playa' but I wish they would have mentioned more about his turnaround than just 'he's celibate' - well, why is he celibate? For God's glory? For personal commitment? The show should show what dating should look like somewhat in the church - no hooking up, purity in dating, waiting until marriage. I know not everyone shares this opinion but I believe that's what the Bible presents to us. There's not really dating in the Bible but purity before marriage is definitely discussed (no sexual immorality).

Anyway, here's a preview for "It Takes a Church." Check it out tonight on GSN (check your local listings for times).



Disclaimer: I received a screener episode in order to give my honest opinion. My opinions are all my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)