on mission

via Biblia.com
  Mario Andretti (NASCAR driver) has been quoted as saying, "Don't look at the wall. Your car goes where your eyes go." I remember hearing this first during driver's ed the summer I was 15. I honestly think of it each time I pass someone on the road, especially semis. I definitely do not want my eyes to go there! Emily P. Freeman has a podcast episode about this very thing. 

  In my every day life, my focus is too often on my comfort. I knuckle it through to naptime/bedtime/the weekend/vacation/date night/retirement. I look to just make it to my next break - to quiet time, to rest, to doing what I want to do. 

  Are we as Christians called to just make it in this life? Is that what we see in Jesus' life on earth? No. He was focused on his mission - the cross and ultimately, the resurrection. But he did not rush. Often times he did things that others with him thought away from his mission. Think of when Jairus came to him and wanted him to come heal his daughter. Jesus agreed and was starting to follow him when he stopped. "Who touched me?" He knew. He could have kept on walking, allowing the woman with the bleeding disorder to touch him, be healed, and go on with her life. He could have just kept walking, but he did not. He stopped, took the time to heal her spiritually. This was intentional! He didn't rush to the cross. Each day was intentional and meaningful - even if it's not recorded in the Bible. 

  Paul admonishes us in 1 Corinthians 9: "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified." 
  
  A runner is always intentional. Each training run has a purpose. Long, easy runs help stretch endurance. Sprints help to make them faster. When we look at this passage in 1 Corinthians, we can easily think of running a sprint. Just get it done. Get it over with. 

  Instead, we need to look at it as a marathon, growing our perseverance, our endurance. This is not a life of white knuckling survival! This is a life in which we are supposed to be intentionally thriving. That's not always easy (and there are seasons of survival for sure! Hello, baby's first year!) but with Christ aren't all things possible?! 

  The first part of Hebrews 12:2 (seen in the above image) says "looking to Jesus." So I ask you, in this staying home season of life, are you surviving? That's fine...but just like anything else, we cannot stay there. Look for ways to thrive IN CHRIST! 

  How can you be intentional today? Can you read your Bible? Can you read it to your children or spouse? Can you set up a virtual meeting with your Bible study on Zoom? 

  This is not the day to look at the wall. This is the day to make a plan - not of survival but a plan to thrive in this season. It's going to look different for all of us. For some, that plan may include a very structured day. For others, it may be a free for all Lego or movie marathon. We must also let go of comparison and run our OWN race! 

  You can do this! I'm cheering you on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)