What Am I Feeling? by Dr. Josh and Christi Straub (children's book review)

Emotions are a normal part of life, but if not taught properly, they can run rampant over a person's life. God gave us emotions to signal us to things - anger when something is not right, sadness when hard times happen, happiness when life is peaceful and swell! However, as it's taken me a long time and many books to understand, our emotions do not have the right to control our responses.
image via B&H/LifeWay


This can be a difficult concept to teach children but a vitally important one. "What Am I Feelings?" by Dr. Josh and Christi Straub gives parents a tool to use when teaching this lesson to children. It's one you'll teach over and over again because this book is easy to love - characters that kids relate to, cute illustrations by Jane Butler, and an easy plot to follow. My Princess has brought it to me several times since it arrived for me to read to her.

What I liked: Like I mentioned, I like the illustrations by Jane Butler. They are simple and cute. Eye-catching for children. It is a likable story because the characters go through emotions and events that are common to children - someone gets their blocks knocked over (and they get mad); someone overreacts and yells at a friend, and that friend cries; a child is afraid of talking in front of his peers. These are so relatable - and generational! I think most of us can relate to the children in this story.

What I disliked: I wish all stories for children rhymed but that's just a preference. This story has fine writing along with it.

I was just at a friend's house today and she mentioned that her two-year-old is at a stage where his emotions are really big! This is one of those stories that will help parents explain to children that God has given us emotions, "what you feel matters, but it doesn't have to control you." I think this is such good verbiage for children to hear and understand. It really would pair well with "The Way I Feel" by Janan Cain.

Disclaimer: I received this book in order to write an honest review. All opinions are my own and may not be the same as yours. The links I use for AmazonSmile help support Emmaus University in Haiti. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)