Engraved on the Heart by Tara Johnson (book review)

I took a chance on "Engraved on the Heart" by Tara Johnson. Romance novels are not my first pick of genre but I was intrigued by the portrayal of a character with epilepsy during the Civil War era. I was rewarded for my choice with terrific writing, likable characters, and a plot line that went beyond romance. 
image via Amazon
Johnson has a way with words that makes one forget that this is historical fiction. Nor does it fall into the category of cheesy Christian romance. The reader is drawn into the plot that intertwines Civil War Southern society with the suspense of the Underground Railroad, laced with a star-crossed lovers-type romance (but it doesn't make you roll your eyes because the characters are so well developed). 

The aspect that drew me most to reading a book beyond my norm was the main character's epilepsy. To see this disorder (which plagues my own son) portrayed in this era broke my heart. That real people with this disease were forced to hide something out of their control, veiled in shame, is so sad. It makes me incredibly thankful for modern medical practices and the acceptance of this disorder. The love people now show is drastically different than what is portrayed in this book to Keziah during this era. 

"Engraved on the Heart" by Tara Johnson was truly a treat to read. 

Disclaimer: I received this book in order to write an honest review. My opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)