A Pocketful of Hope for Mothers by Robin Jones Gunn (book review)

Robin Jones Gunn was one of my favorite authors in high school. I loved her Christy series and her Sierra Jensen series. Some of the "Christian-ese" (Christian talk) in her books still sticks with me today, like calling something very cool God does a "God thing." They were some of the only books I read that talked about a relationship with Christ - and I read them before I started to really follow Him myself!

I haven't read a lot of fiction these past few years because most of what I read centers on becoming a better mom and wife and building my character. However, I found a new Robin Jones Gunn book I love called "A Pocketful of Hope for Mothers." The back cover type tells perfectly what it's about and why I picked it up:

"Are you worn down and tired- feeling empty as a mother? Does your cup need filling as you pour out more and more each day? You need some hope!"
image via Amazon

Isn't that refreshing?! I've been through some very tiring weeks the past few months to the point of being extremely overwhelmed by life and especially motherhood. Children have health issues and character issues and toddler tantrums and that can lead to burn out! I won't say I read this book and it magically got better, but it definitely held sweet words for a worn out mama to hear.

image via Amazon

"A Pocketful of Hope" is filled with Scripture (much of it is from The Message version), small stories and poems by Gunn. There are passages about body image, adoption, dreams, mothering without your mother around, love (of course), and encouragement. I feel like every word is steeped in prayer because I truly wasn't in for a mushy, fluffy book - this is real stuff made for real moms dealing with real kids! Gunn understands motherhood is not all sunshine and rainbows but she also knows the hope of the Lord can make even the mundane and hard holy.

I thought this would be good to copy out of if you wanted to send a friend encouragement or to give the whole book as a gift! It's definitely one I'm going to keep handy as I continue on this path of motherhood - and start a new chapter in motherhood in July!

Happy reading!

Disclaimer: I received this book in order to write an honest review. All opinions are my own and may not be the same as yours. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)