CSB Bible - Reader's Edition (book review)

In 1550, Edito Regia was published by Robert Estienne. It featured the chapter and verse numbers we are familiar with in Bibles. I love the idea that if I say "John 3:16," it can be easily found in the Bible. 

However, I have sometimes found this system limiting in my reading of the Bible. It can make it seem more laborious than it is. "Oh, I've read 2 chapters!" That seems like a lot but two Bible chapters differs from two chapters in Little House on the Prairie or The Hobbit. But my head knows chapters are long, so it seems laborious. 
image via Amazon

Sometimes verses are split in half and sections are chopped up with headings. It can be difficult to trace a "therefore " back to its original subject. 

Much of the New Testament are epistles, letters. They don't look like letters with the chapter and verse numbers. 
image via Amazon

I have enjoyed the uninterrupted reading in the CSB Reader's Bible (CSB = Christian Standard Bible) for a few months now. Reading two pages is like reading two pages (with small print still)! Passages are not oddly broken up! I just feel like it's easier to read this Bible. 

I do have to beware of fast reading! I am a fast reader and can skim a page and get the gist. However, Bible reading is not college reading. I have no timeline and no test. I don't need to rush and rushing, in this instance, can be detrimental. I may miss something small that God wants to magnify in my application of a certain passage. So I must not speed over the awesome Word. 

Overall, I have enjoyed this CSB Reader's Bible. I plan to continue to do much of my reading out of this Bible. I don't use it for Bible studies due to ease of finding corresponding verses. I love to use it partially in my own study of the Bible when I read through a book to get an overview. It's great to have a more uninhibited read through!

You can purchase the CSB Reader's Bible through the CSB website or via Amazon Smile (and support my favorite seminary EBS).

Disclaimer: I received this Bible in order to write an honest review. My opinions are my own and may differ from everyone else's opinions. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)