"The Wedding Shop" by Rachel Hauck (book review)

Do you ever just need a book that isn't so deep? I read a lot of deep books, sometimes I just need to fluff book. I don't mean that in a mean way but in a way that I need to plot a storyline instead of theology and facts. "The Wedding Shop" by Rachel Hauck proved to be something entirely different but just what I needed.

I will start by saying that this book is not fluff. It is an intricately woven story between past and present, between life prior to Christ and redemption. I love books that weave between many characters. "The Wedding Shop" goes back-and-forth between Cora Scott, a wedding shop owner in the early 1930s, and Haley Morgan in modern-day times who is just returned home to Heart's Bend, Tennessee after leaving the military and a toxic relationship, and  the death of her best friend. Haley dreams of opening the wedding shop that was closed long before her time, just as she and her friend had pinky promised in their childhood.

I love how Hauck takes us back-and-forth between time, leaving us hanging at moments, but never leaving the story without moving it along. There is love, lies, drama, the Depression, AND, most importantly, the ever-present God who makes all things new.

image via me; I couldn't put this book down.
The characters of Haley and Cora really resonate with me as they fall for the wrong guys. In my younger years, I was trailed along by an unworthy boy until God met me with a kind man who is now thankfully my husband, for 10 years. My husband reminds me so much of Birch Good, a man after Cora's heart. He is the strong, dependable, God-loving man. Cora sees Birch as boring, but when I met my husband, I saw him as a breath of fresh air. He did and still does treat me like a princess, like he always wants to sweep me off my feet. It truly is a dream.

I love the ending in this story but you will have to read it for yourself. I stayed up way too late trying to dive deeper more than a few nights.

Disclaimer: I received this book in order to write an honest review. All opinions are my own and may vary from others' opinions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)