Prayers that Changed History by Tricia Goyer (book review)

I did not grow up praying. I still feel very awkward when I pray. I have read a lot about prayer because that's how I learn best. I still feel awkward. However, I have learned that God doesn't heard our awkwardness but our hearts. 

My desire for better prayers (if there really is such a thing) lead me to read "Prayers that Changed History" by Tricia Goyer. I thought this author was familiar to me and I believe she has written articles for the MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) magazine. 

"Prayers that Changed History" is written for older elementary students, I think. I really like how it's written and arranged, though. You read a story about an historical character, then a question is posed based upon this story, a bit on how his or her story changed history, a Biblical account that is similar to this story, and finally how this can show in your life. Just a great explanation to really explain the relevance of this story in history and to the Bible. 
image via BookLook

What I liked: I said above, I like the organization. I myself am not an organizer but I greatly appreciate it. Who wants to come organize my home? 
I also liked that I was not familiar with each historical figure. I knew Mother Teresa, Deitrich Boenhoeffer, Christopher Columbus, Martin Luther, Susanna Wesley (Charles and John Wesley's mother), George Muller (he's been showing up a lot in my reading as of late). I had never heard of Amy Carmichael, Polycarp, Billy Sunday, David Livingstone, Catherine Booth (although I was familiar with the story), or Mary Jones. There are others in the book (a lot!), but I just loved the diversity - men, women, different races, poor folk, richer ones. It shows even more that our God is not a God of one type of person but for all. 

I loved most hearing about ordinary people like Mary Jones who lived in Ireland and saved up her money to buy a precious Bible. Susanna Wesley who was "just" a stay-at-home mom (did it say she had 9 children?). These women changed history. These ordinary women. Sometimes I feel very small in God's Kingdom, very insignificant. But I don't know the butterfly effect of my prayers and my faithfulnesss. This gives me hope and encouragement to continue on in the faith.

What I didn't like: nothing. I really loved this book. I wish it were longer. 

Pick up your copy today. This would make an excellent book for just about anyone. The reading is not too difficult so even my 6-year-old could probably read it. He wouldn't because there aren't enough pictures. Do they make this in graphic novel? 

Disclaimer: I received this copy in order to write an honest review. All opinions are my own and may not be the same as yours. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)