The Berenstain Bears Storybook Bible for Little Ones by Jan and Mike Berenstain (book review)

I have fond memories of reading The Berenstain Bear series growing up. One my own sons are etching into their memories as they love BB books. We have a few out of their Living Lights series which is their faith-based books vs straight social stories that I grew up on. I love some of them: "All Things Bright and Beautiful" and "Love Their Neighbor."

If you remember from an older post of mine, I reviewed their "God Bless America" and was taken aback by their using a reference of the Promised Land to America. Calling America the land flowing with milk and honey. Not really what God had in mind, I don't think. Like a friend said on Facebook the other day 'patriotism is not Christianity.'
image via BookLook
However, I decided to give it another chance with their Storybook Bible. How wrong can you go with Bible stories? And for the most part, it is a great little book.

What I liked: The length of the stories is terrific. Not too complex. Pretty pictures. Like you expect from the Berenstains. I love that it is included in the birth of Jesus story that he will be called "Son of the Highest."

They included: Creation, Noah's Ark, David and Goliath, Daniel in the Lions' Den, Jesus' Birth, The Good Samaritan, Jesus' ride into Jerusalem, and the Resurrection. Those aren't the official titles in the book but the stories.

What I didn't like: Judas is not identified as a disciple, just a bad man. Maybe it's a mincing of words but I think it's important that he knew Jesus closely. Perhaps not important at such a young age. It also does not identify why Jesus died - as a sacrifice for our sins. This book also does not say anything about salvation or trusting in Christ, which is a cornerstone of our faith.

Perhaps the things that I dislike about the book are not important theological issues at such young ages, but I still prefer the Jesus Storybook Bible which addresses them.

Disclaimer: I received this book in order to write an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)