The Berenstain Bears' God Bless Our Country by Mike Berenstain (book review)

The Berenstain Bears have provided my generation and my kids' generation with some of the best social stories available. They have helped us with teaching our children respect, contentedness (the Gimmes), the dentist, and doctor, among other things. I have really enjoyed the newer Living Lights stories, helping to teach faith to our children.

I was excited for an Independence Day story, "The Berenstain Bears' God Bless Our Country" by Mike Berenstain, for my children. We don't have many for the 4th of July (if any?) so I thought this would be great. I liked how they told about the Revolutionary War and why it was fought. I loved the "Li-bear-ty Bell," just cute and cleaver.

image via BookLook
However, I did not like that the book quoted the Old Testament when talking about America. It called this country a land flowing with milk and honey. While this is the Land of Opportunity, that Scripture specifically is referring to the Promised Land/Israel. It's irritating when Scripture is taken out of context and while I love this country, it is not the Promise Land that God promised the Israelites. It's a wonderful country but let's not mix things up, Mr. Berenstain.

Other than that error, I did enjoy this book. However, that error was enough that I did not keep this book for our collection. I want my children to have factual books about our country and that error made this an inaccurate book.

Disclaimer: I received this book in order to write an honest review. Others may not share my opinion(s).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)