I Can Learn the Bible by Holly Hawkins Shivers (book review)

Confession: we have more children's devotionals than we've read or are likely to read. Wow. Good to get that off my chest. Now, I didn't buy all of these devotionals so it was never my intention to have this many. We are also not consistent in reading devotionals - we've tried breakfast time, after school, bed time and we just haven't found a time that works for us.

However, do not let our lack of diligence keep you from continuing to read this review of "I Can Learn the Bible" by Holly Hawkins Shivers. The subtitle of the book is "52 Scriptures Every Kid Should Know." Now, I believe this is a subjective look because there are SO many verses from the Bible kids (and adults) should know.

image via BookLook
Part of my family's problem with devotionals has been the format of the devos. Usually there is one verse and then a story to go along with maybe a little blurb at the end a la Aesop's Fables. The lesson. The format is just one of the things I really like about this "I Can Learn the Bible" book. There is a verse (most of them well known like Galatians 5:22-23, the Fruits of the Spirit) for each week (I also like it's split into weeks vs. days...probably for folks like us). But then it's different - the book talks to you as the reader (and your kids as listeners) to explain the verse(s). Sometimes they do use a story but I haven't felt that the stories were A) so long my kids stop listening or B) irrelevant.

I just feel that the author has really taken the time to explain in a kid-friendly way but not dumbed-down way about the verses! Week 8 has "Continue to ask, and God will give to you. Continue to search, and you will find. Continue to knock, and the door will open for you." - Matthew 7:7. And the explanation is: "Because you are hiding God's Word in your heart...you know that God speaks to you through the Bible. But how do you speak to Him? That's right - you pray! Think about it for a second. You...you can talk to the God of the universe. You can talk to the Maker of heaven and earth, the One who made you, the Great I Am. Wow! That is a very cool thought!" I love how simply it's put and yet profound. It really is profound and amazing to think how we can talk to God.

My children are 5 and 7 right now, but I feel like this is a resource that I'll be able to use for the new baby and for my boys as they continue to grow. This devotional is different, more connected to how real life works and how kids think, than others I've read. I'm excited to continue to go through it with my boys (and girl).

Disclaimer: I received this book in order to write an honest review. Others' may not share my opinions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)