"What Your Heart Needs for the Hard Days" by Holley Gerth (book review)

"In vain you rise early
     and stay up late,
toiling for food to eat --
    for he grants sleep to those he loves."
-Psalm 127:2

I read these words as I was laying in bed late, going over something important I needed to go over. So I'm flipping through "What Your Heart Needs for the Hard Days" by Holley Gerth because I thought I could work in some of the verses she used in these devotionals. 

image via Amazon
And God calls out to my heart. My weary, overbooked heart. I heard Him telling me that my list could wait and I needed to give myself grace for the day-to-day stuff that just can't all get checked off my to-do list. There are so many hours in the day and I am just one person, so there's only so much I can do. The rest will have to wait and I need to be okay with that waiting.

I love hearing God talk to me and I was so thankful He spoke to me using Gerth's devotional. It's been a treasured little book for the...week I've had it. I've read through it and used some of her anecdotes when I needed to write some hard cards - a cousin had a miscarriage, a friend's wife passed away, my dad has been ill. Sometimes I don't have the words but this book helped me find verses that I would have been scouring for hours to find. 

Gerth is just so relatable in her struggles and her life that she shares. This little yellow book with red polka dot binding is not a replacement for the Word of God but it uses the Word to really speak to me in places I overlook in my life, like rest. 

I'm so thankful that I have gotten to read this devotional and it will be sitting on my nightstand for a long time. I imagine it years from now, dog-eared, well-loved, and much appreciated.

Also, Holley will be hosting a Face(book) club for What Your Heart Needs For the Hard Days! You can read about it on her blog at http://holleygerth.com/heart-needs-hard-days and to join all you have to do is “like” her Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/HolleyGerthPage.

Disclaimer: I received this book in order to write an honest review. Others may not have the same opinions as I have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)