"The God-First Life" by Stovall Weems

Promise I have some fun posts coming up, but I need to write a few of these book reviews first. Up first is "The God-First Life" by Stovall Weems. I was thinking this was going to be a more in-depth, practical book of how to put God first in our lives. It was more like a beginner's book of "ok I trust Jesus, now what?"
which is terrific.

There needs to be more books like this because when I first trusted in Jesus/became saved, I had no idea what that kind of life should look like. Now, don't get me wrong, there isn't a one-size-fits-all lifestyle for being a Christian. But there are a few things Christians should be doing and that's growing in fruits of the Spirit - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, self-control, faithfulness. I think that Weems laid out his book well to explain how we go about growing these things. Through having new priorities, a new family (God's church), a new life, and new freedom.

image via Amazon
Even us "veteran" Christians have something to glean from this book. "In Hebrews: 'By one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.'" Which shows that even as I continue to have sin struggles in my life, Christ is still working in me, making me holy. It's a process and sometimes I forget that but needed reminded and this book did so for me. And on those bad days, I need to really sink into Christ and hear him say "I know it's been tough. Listen, I love you. You're going to be with me forever one day." The day I read that I just burst into tears because it'd just been a long few days with my kiddos and I was mentally exhausted.

"The God-First Life" isn't easy but it can be for everyone, if only you trust in the Lord. He will help you through life's struggles, not make them go away, but be with you. You won't be alone, you won't have to worry anymore. God takes care of his own. And this book shows you how to reap those benefits of "The God-First Life."

Disclaimer: I received this book in order to write an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)