Becoming Home by Jedd Medefind (book review)

Big A and I have always talked about adopting one day. Life has come at us fast with all the moving and biological children and group home foster children that we've had in the past 6 years, so it hasn't really been a discussion topic until lately.

We have several friends who have adopted or are looking to adopt, both domestically and internationally. So I wanted to read more about it and "Becoming Home" by Jedd Medefind was a really good place for me to start.
image via Amazon
Basically this is a really condensed version of things we can do to help the international orphan crisis. We, as Christians, are called to be involved in this through the Scripture verse James 1:27:

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." (NIV)

What does it mean to look after widows and orphans? I didn't really learn anything new about this question from this book. I know it's through adoption, foster care, and mentoring that we can help orphans in distress. One quote that really struck me was this:

"God adopted us at a profound cost to himself," JT [Olson] explains, "So adopting an orphan, even when very difficult, is just a small retelling of the gospel. That story too includes suffering."

I don't know in what capacity my family will continue to help orphans. We now sponsor three children in hopes of preventing them from being orphans. We have talked about adoption and foster care, but haven't made a definitive decision about any of it. There is a lot to consider in every option and we are prayerfully doing so.

This was a good book, full of statistics about orphans, which help you see the big picture. A good starting place for those thinking of how to help with this overwhelming crisis. But then you must ask yourself "What's next?"

Disclaimer: I received this book in order to write an honest review. My opinions are my own and others may or may not agree.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)