How to Be Rich by Andy Stanley (book review)

Andy Stanley is one of my favorite author/pastor/speakers. I've gone through his "Guardrails" series, "iMarriage," and am currently going through "Big Church." I've listened to him at our church and through the Chick-fil-a Leadercast I attended last year (and possibly the previous year). It was just natural for me to want to read "How to Be Rich" even though I didn't feel like I belong in the "rich" category.

image via BookLook 
Notice the title is "HOW to Be Rich" rather than 'How to GET Rich.' Big difference. The subtitle says it all: "It's not what you have. It's what you do with what you have." According to Stanley, if you make $37,000/year you are among the TOP 4 percent of wage earners in the world. You are rich. I am rich.

Since we are rich, what then? Do we know how to be good at being rich? Or is this the truth: "as long as you're heading up the pyramid, your focus will be on what you don't have. And you're less aware of what you do have. Only when life turns us in the other direction do we look back and notice how good we had it all along." So true. I feel less content materialistically now that we have more money than we've ever had. I see things online and I want them.

I think because we have more money, I should be able to spend more. This is where "How to Be Rich" kicked me in the teeth (also conviction from the Holy Spirit). This affect that money has on me (and probably most other Richie Riches) can be balanced out! How?

"Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share."  - 1 Timothy 6:17-18

Here's another part that really convicted me: "Whenever we have more than we need, our natural assumption will be that it's for our own consumption." Whoa. That's me. I have $2 extra in my pocket and it burns a hole! I don't even pray about what God plans for that money...whether it's a measly $2 (which most of the world could live on per day) or $200. I want to spend it. On me. I'm that selfish. I'm a terrible rich person.

My prayer from reading this book and acquiring the knowledge of how to fight against selfish richness is that I may not put my hope in my riches but in Him who richly provides, that I may do good, and be generous. That I may pray about what God wants me to do with the extra that HE has provided.

Definitely check out this book. There is so many nuggets of knowledge and it's a really easy read. A proficient reader could knock this out in a day. Since I spread myself so thin, it took me about a week. There is also a 4-week DVD series for small groups with discussion questions in the back of this book.

Disclaimer: I received this book in order to write an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)