What I'm Reading: Parenting with Scripture by Kara Durbin (book review)

I read a lot of parenting books, hoping to gain some insight so I don't mess my kids up. :) "Parenting with Scripture" by Kara Durbin tops my list of must-haves for parents. It's a "topical guide for teachable moments." I'm in the throes of discipline with my kids. A few more years and Moose will need less and less (as I'm praying), then Squirt will follow suit.

I can't tell you how many times in the last year I've written in my journal about how hard this parenting stuff is. Well, I could tell you but I don't want to go back and count. Anyway, parenting isn't an easy gig - it's super hard, and harder if you take it seriously. And I take it very seriously. These two little boys are mine to mold - their hearts, souls, and minds. Yikes that's a big responsibility. And the one that keeps me working hard is their souls.

Soul-shaping is tough and the biggest of big responsibilities. "Parenting with Scriptures" has already been a big help to me. I've followed "Shepherding a Child's Heart" model for a few years now in our discipline methods and yet I've yearned for more reaching of their hearts. With this topical guide, I can turn to the topic of discipline (fighting, disobedience, etc) and show them what God's Word says. Yes, I could use a Bible, too, but it would take me much longer to find what I would be looking for.

I also love that this is not just for discipline purposes. There are so many topics beyond discipline: encouragement, conformity, joking, money, perfection. From A to Z, there is a topic for most everything. I love that I can use this to speak to my child's heart with the Words of God to anything our family is going through or teaching through. I keep it pretty handy by our computer (which is in a general area of our house) so I can grab it really fast for those teachable moments. And those teachable moments come often in a house with young kids.

I highly recommend using this book to supplement your parenting, your teachable moments, your discipline. It will even help you, not just your kids.

Disclaimer: I received this book in order to write an honest review. Others may or may not share my opinions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)