these are a few of my favorite things

I love the Sound of Music (it's on sale on Amazon if anyone has an inkling for a secret santa gift...to me - or you know I'd love Take Me Out to the Ball Game or Singing in the Rain, too...). Oh dear, off topic.

Anyway! With the sights and sounds and sales of this holiday season come some of my favorite times ever. I don't know if you cheer for the holidays or grimace with a 'bah! hum-bug!' in your heart, but I love Christmas. So I wanted to share some of my favorite things this year.

1. wrapping gifts. I'm not that great at it, but I enjoy it.

2. white elephant gift exchanges. I love passing on good things that we don't use that could be of use to someone else. This year's it's a few kid toys!

3. Christmas music. Music that proclaims that Jesus is Lord on secular stations? Oh yes!

4. my new boots. This pertains more to the weather but I've enjoyed wearing them a lot.

5. Why Do We Call it Christmas? Oh my goodness, I'm in love with this DVD that shares with my children about St. Nicholas, Christmas trees, and other important holiday information. And - most importantly - it directs their hearts to Jesus Christ as our God and Savior.

6. Christmas lights. While we haven't officially gone on our Mini Van Express (like Polar Express) ride, I'm excited to do so.

7. making delicious goodies. Again, haven't done that but we're planning on it for this weekend. And while these are not delicious, I did make them (not these in the tutorial but other ones that I'll share pictures of soon).

8. Holiday movies. Elf, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Olive the Other Reindeer, Veggie Tales: Saint Nicholas, Veggie Tales: The Toy that Saved Christmas, and The Family Man (not sure why this is a holiday movie other than a Christmas scene and it's reminiscent of A Christmas Carol) are on our already watched list - or mine, at least. Up soon is It's a Wonderful Life (never seen it), Home Alone, The Nativity Story, and The Little Drummer Boy.

9. Celebrating St. Nicholas Day. It was at the last minute but the boys really enjoyed it. They got cinnamon rolls and orange juice for breakfast, 2 quarters, and cookie cutters. We've decided to not tell our children the myth of Santa Claus but rather explain who Saint Nicholas was and that Santa Claus is "pretend" (or that St. Nicholas is dead, if you're my husband). We're not against Santa but it is a lie, even a fun lie, and we want our children to understand that they receive gifts on Christmas from us, not Santa, as a gesture of the gifts first given to Christ from the 3 wise men and as a symbol of His being the real gift of the season (and life). Maybe a bit much for a 3 and 5 year old but I'm excited about this because I think it will lead our children to a better understand of the Lord and the reason for the season (Christ, not gifts).

10. No snow. I know, Kara, you love the snow. And I want snow this year, but I'm not going to grumble it's not here yet. I want to go sledding and make snow angels and have snow fights but I was really liking that 70 degree weather. I did agree, however, with you that it doesn't feel much like Christmas ON Christmas without snow.

What are your favorite things about Christmas or the holiday season?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)