focus

Proverbs 4:25-27

Look straight ahead,
   and fix your eyes on what lies before you.
Mark out a straight path for your feet;
   stay on the safe path.
Don't get sidetracked;
   keep your feet from following evil.


A friend's husband told her that I was focused as I ran this morning. This wasn't surprising to her. She knows I take my running seriously. Not to say I don't enjoy it, but it's hard work! Early hours in the dark coldness before the sun rises to greet the day.

I plan my path prior to leaving home. I map it out and I stick to that plan. Unless I sense danger. Dog barking on the next street that I'm unable to see but have never heard before. That sends me off path.

Reminds me tonight of my walk with the Lord. I generally have a plan - prayer, reading, worship, service - but I try to be attentive to promptings from the Holy Ghost. "Stay on the safe path." I know the Lord will guide my life path. I know he has plans for me - "plans for good" even.

Sometimes it's difficult to follow without knowing the finish line - or even landmarks along the way. But I trust. I trust in Him, not in myself. I can focus all I want, but if I try to plan my own way without guidance, I'll end up in a pothole (or worse, a pit).

Vanity. Pride. Worry. Arrogance. Loneliness. Anger. Fear. Overwhelmed. Laziness. Gluttony.

Oh the potholes that trip me up.

And yet, I will stay focused on the path of righteousness. For I know that when I get sidetracked, my sweet Lord will whisper (sometimes yell - I can be quite deaf) the directions to my heart, leading me back with his staff and rod.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)