31 Days of Fitness: Day 5

Crap in, crap out. I think we've all heard that little saying. I wouldn't repeat it if I didn't think it was true. It's hard to accept - even for me! I've been on my health journey since 2010 and I totally struggle in this area.

I love me some comfort foods. Breads, pastas, cookies. I prefer chips mostly, but I usually get out of stuffing my face with that because our food budget is based upon necessity. However, when we're at a potluck or group get together where there are chips...watch out. You'll find my lips like a salt lick.

I am really only just now understanding how much food affects me. I just read about half of the book Eat and Run by Scott Jurek (I did stop halfway through but it was a really good book. I just had other things I wanted to read more!). He's a vegan ultramarathoner - not just "a" but one of the best! I really wish I could eat more like him (I like meat and other animal products, so veganism is out) - organic fruit and vegetables. More naturally. My family really does the best we can, but it's truly expensive in the grocery store these days. We eat a lot of vegetables - mostly raw, some canned (store bought and by Big A's grandparents).

It's not just food! It's what you drink, too. I know so many people rely on coffee and that's ok to a point. Don't go drinking coffee all hours of the day or you'll end up with insomnia. Then you end up hurting another important aspect of your health - sleep! You know that if you drink pop and juices and even smoothies (not always) are filled with sugar (and other crap). My tastes have changed as far as drinks go - pop really doesn't taste good to me. And if I do drink it (it's hard to change your mind about something, even drinks, that you've done all your life), it's really hard on my next run. Ugh.

I encourage you to eat out less. You don't always know what is in meals that you get in restaurants, cafes, and the like. I've learned by watching The Biggest Loser that even the "good" food can be a bad choice - salads with too many croutons and too much dressing. If you make it, you know what's in it.

Don't be too hard on yourself. If you make a mistake (eat a few too many chips or one too many pieces of cake/pie/cookie bars), pick yourself back up! Try again this meal, this snack, this party. It's never too late to start over.

And if you can't afford organic food and the leanest meats, just do your best! That's all anyone can ask. Your body will be so thankful that you have decided to start feeding it the best fuel possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)