Going Deep by Gordon MacDonald (review)

Have you ever wanted to be a deep person? I have. Ever since I started really living for the Lord in college, I've wanted to be deep. I've wanted to be educated about the Lord, welcoming to His people, in sync with the Lord. I've wanted a mentor - a deep person to teach me to be a deep person.

When I had the opportunity to pick a book to review, I was drawn to Going Deep by Gordon MacDonald. I can't say I chose the book by its cover but I definitely made a good choice choosing by its title. This book was just what I was looking for to challenge me.

Mr. MacDonald writes about a fictional church in New England. In the period of two years, you learn about Pastor MacDonald (GMAC) and his "great idea." This great idea turns into a group called Cultivating Deep People which is lead by him and his wife, Gail. They choose (not taking volunteers to the dismay of a few congregants) participants who they felt had what it took to be a leader in the church. Not in the way of being on pastoral staff (and not necessarily meaning that) but being a leader in a wider way. In a Christian, evangelical, spread-the-gospel kind of way. A leader who could later cultivate their own deep people.

I found so much about this book interesting. First, that I have never seen something like this in any church I've attended. I actually have set up a meeting to talk to our pastor about women and the lack of mentors in that aspect of our church. I so badly want someone to mentor me and I know there are other women in the church who want that - and others still who are capable of doing so. Titus 2 teaches the older women to teach the younger women. But where is that in the church today?

I think that if enough people read this book, they would want this and start forming CDP (Cultivating Deep People) groups in their churches. They would grow deep people who would grow deep people who would grow deep people and on and on. People that could be leaders in the church and in the wider world. I know that I want to be a deep person and the only bad thing about this book is that they don't offer the resources used. Well, MacDonald offers the resources he used but not the ones that he made up for his fictional CDP group (Paul/Titus connection).

The coolest thing about reading this was a friend of ours went to Denver Seminary where GMAC is a chancellor. Him and his wife could have taken a marriage class with MacDonald and his wife, Gail. That would have been even cooler.

Disclaimer: I received this book in order to facilitate an honest review. All opinions are my own. Others may or may not have the same experience(s) with the author, publisher, and/or book as I've had.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)