Emotion Dominoes (review)

Moose doesn't show a wide range of emotion - mad, happy, REALLY mad, excited, anxious. I don't remember ever seeing him sad but it's possible it's come out as another emotion. Many autistic children don't show a wide range of emotion; I know this doesn't mean that they don't feel or have a wide range. They just may show it differently or not know how to express what they're feeling. That can make it tough when you're the parent. Sometimes I have to put words to Moose's expression of emotion and pray I'm putting the right words to what he's feeling.

I had the opportunity to review the Emotion Dominoes from the store From Fragments to Furniture and Beyond Etsy shop. Megan's own son is autistic and the inspiration for these emotion dominoes. I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to find a shop so tuned into my world. ha! Megan also has listings for texture buttons, opposites buttons, alphabet buttons, and number buttons - all wonderful teaching tools for any kid, but especially autistic or learning disabled children. All of her buttons are made from non-toxic polymer clay so they are safe if your child tends to put things in their mouth.
there is angry, happy, afraid, sad, sleepy - we're missing a few dwarves ;)

Moose really took to our emotion dominoes. They are bright colors and he likes other kinds of dominoes too - so this was a good fit for him. He does recognize all of the emotions and so far what I've done to use these dominoes is to look up pictures online of people showing these emotions and ask Moose to match them. What a useful, fun tool for us to work into our home learning time. Sometimes I have a difficult time getting Moose to work with me so novel items are my saving grace!



Megan also sells custom dollhouses. She makes them as a tool for autistic children to re-create social situations and practice word recognition. Very cool! I think it would be interesting to have your own home custom made so you can see how your child sees your home. You can find Megan on her website, Etsy, Facebook, Flickr, ArtFire, and Twitter. What a savvy social media maven this mama is.

Disclaimer: I received the emotion dominoes in order to write an honest review. All opinions are 100% my own. Others may or may not have the same experience(s) with the company, owner, and/or items as I've had.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)