Unstuff by Hayley and Michael DiMarco (review)

"Unstuff" by Hayley and Michael DiMarco is about "making room in your life for what really matters." The premise of the book is that our world, your world, is full of stuff and God. We have a relationship with both stuff and God. Unfortunately, for so many, the latter often takes a back seat to our love affair with stuff.

Hayley and Michael started by Unstuffing their house - moving into an RV with their young daughter, going on a 3-month "tour" of the country, taking on the necessities. They wrote this book to share their findings - stuff too often gets in the way of the most important things in life - and our relationship with the most important "person*": God.  


While this book did get my attention through fun fonts and writing styles, it didn't offer me really anything I hadn't heard or read before. I know that too often stuff gets in the way of my and other relationships with God. Stuff is a broad term and it can mean anything really! Stuff may be Monday Night Football (or any other time football), Bible Study, relationships, Facebook, hobbies, work, emotions, diseases and disorders. There is so much that can detract from our relationship with God. Prior to reading this book I have countless time taken the message of this book to heart. I know currently I struggle with wanting to own a home. Not that owning a home in itself is a bad thing but, if it goes un-accounted for in my head, I can let that desire (and a perfectly natural desire) trickle to my heart. I can let that be my idol. And really that's the heart of this book - not letting STUFF become IDOLS. Not worshipping stuff but praising God for His blessings.

You don't have to sell your household or change your lifestyle in order to learn these lessons - you might but that's between you and God. However, I do recommend reading this book and taking an inventory of the stuff in your life that may be taking you away from your relationship with God.

*I understand God is not a "person," I just can't think of a better fitting term.

Disclaimer: Tyndale House Publishers provided me with a complimentary copy of this book in order to facilitate an honest review. Others may or may not have the same experience(s) with this book and/or company.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)