A Year with God by R.P. Nettlehorst (review)


Having a daily Quiet Time with the Lord is something I strive for - and, unfortunately, something I don't always make time (or have time) for. I know I'm not the only one; it seems that today we all have so much going on and so many other things to read, watch, see, or do, that we have a hard time being still with the Lord.

When I got the chance to read a year-long devotional through Book Sneeze, I jumped at the chance. It seems to have a distinct finish line - a year after I begin. I like goals and deadlines, if you will. I also like the format of this book. The devotionals are short and the Scripture is right there so you don't need to flip between a Bible and a book (I read this in bed so too many books gets too complicated). I love how this is Old Testament based, so the words from the Bible are actually words that were spoken by Him. God doesn't actually speak to us with words much (if ever) anymore but we are so blessed to have records of Him talking to His People!

The one thing I dislike about this book is the various Scripture texts used. They use NIV, NKJV, the Message, CEV, etc. There are so many variations of the Bible these days and they are all (or seemingly all) used in this devotional. I am really not a fan of the Message - I think it takes a very lose translation of the Bible. I know it's meant to help people better understand the Bible but it is just not traditional enough for me (not that I read the "thee/thy/thou" version by any means). I was reading about David last night and this "msg" version said that David asked for forgiveness because "I've been really stupid." Just not right for me to have David talking like that. If it works for you, great, it's just not my cup of tea! I would prefer one Bible version in my devotionals but otherwise I do like this devo.

You can find A Year with God at many major retailers like Amazon ($11.51 at time of writing) and Barnes & Noble.

Disclaimer: I received A Year with God through Book Sneeze in order to facilitate an honest review. All opinions are my own. Others may or may not have the same experiences and/or opinions about the company and/or product.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)