chicken mac n cheese (recipe)

I have yet to make this myself, I will be honest. However, my wonderful husband made a double batch last week so that we could have some and I could take some to a MOPS potluck/playdate. While at said playdate, I was told it was yummy so I wanted to share the recipe.

Chicken Mac N Cheese
1 lb. pasta (we used spirally stuff)               
1 qt. milk
1 1/2 T unsalted butter (we used salted)
1/3 c. parsley
1 c. bread crumbs (we used 2 pieces of white bread toasted)
1/3 c. flour
1/2 c. parmesan cheese
2 tsp minced garlic (garlic powder anyone?) 
2 c. shredded cheese
1 lb. chicken breasts (about 4 cups)
2 tsp. dijon mustard (we used yellow)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Cook pasta al dente & drain (for those of you who have no idea what al dente means, it means almost cooked but not quite. The pasta will finish cooking in the oven). Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Butter a 3 qt. baking dish.
In large skillet, melt butter & add bread crumbs. Cook over medium heat, stirring until golden brown & crisp (about 3 minutes).
Scrape into medium bowl & add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese & parsley. In large saucepan, whisk milk, flour, & garlic until well-blended.
Whisking, bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer until thickened (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat.
Stir in cheese, chicken, parmesan cheese, mustard, and salt and pepper. Add pasta and cheese sauce to baking dish; stir to blend.
Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake 35 minutes (or until chicken and pasta are done).

I hope you enjoy this meal as much as we did! It makes 8-10 servings and is about 400-500 calories).

Comments

Gledwood said…
It sounds yummmmeeee... but I don't get why it's called "mac"~??
Oooo, this sounds delicious!!! :D
EmmaP said…
I hae made this before and it IS yummy!!! i could eat the whole thing myself!


you don't HAVE to use "macaroni" noodles, although you could.

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)