wallflowers

I started a new devotional {that I will have a review for when I'm done} that takes me through 1 Corinthians. As long as I've been a Christian, I've heard sermons about parts of this book and verses through FCA, church, VBS, etc. However, I've never read it {entirely}. Weird, right? Not really, there's a lot I've never read in the Bible {as many times as I've begun}.

I have an NIV Bible; the MP3 I listened to is from the Reader Friendly Edition {apparently formerly titled the International Children's Bible - how cool does that make me?}. I followed along in my Bible while I listened to the other version on the iPod. Sometimes I hate when there are differing versions {why can't everyone just read my version?}, but last night, I enjoyed it. There were parts of the chapters {I read/listened to 1-5} that I was unsure of what they meant. Usually the other version had a better way to explain it; a better word to help me along.

There is just a plethora of fodder in these few chapters. Church division, foolishness vs. wisdom, boasting, eloquent speaking vs. layman's terms, God's plans for us, more on division, building a foundation, yourself as a temple {one of my favorite parts of the Bible}, judgment in the church vs. judging those outside the church, Scripture living, how to live with those outside the church/false Christians.

I do not know enough about any of these topics to pretend that I'm an expert {and I won't say that I am just because I'm a Christian}. Our Lord has the final say on all matters and I know one thing. I know that it is through Christ's death on the cross that we get to heaven. Putting our trust in Him, letting Him take over our lives. That's all I will claim to know.

However, I had some things brought to light while reading/listening. I've always been more reserved in my faith. I don't like speaking in front of people {unless I have over-prepared}. I think there are others much better with words than I - at least spoken ones. I get nervous and shy when I have to publicly speak. I'm not humorous or eloquent {although sometimes I can come off as that through writing...I hope}. I think most would agree that eloquent, funny pastors {preachers, fathers, priests, et al.} are much better to listen to on Sundays {Mondays, Wednesdays, Saturdays, etc} than someone who is monotone or is not charismatic when on stage. Pastors have become almost entertainment.

Don't get me wrong, I love when church holds attention. I love when pastors crack jokes or are otherwise humorous. One of our great friends is preparing to be a preacher and he's all of those things. The church we attend has a pastor very fitting of these descriptions {although I don't know if I used any term correctly in describing either - pastor or preacher. I'm not very sure of the difference}. I think that humor and charisma fire up a crowd, fire up one's faith, can lead many to the cross.

However, there is a time and place for everything. Even Paul says "when I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power."

Even I, who does not speak well in public or know 1/2 the Bible by heart, has a place to speak to those who know {and those who don't know} Christ. With the Spirit's help, we all have the power to light the path to Calvary.

I want to encourage those believers to share your faith - big or small. Share your wisdom - much or little. Share your story - heart wrenching or heart warming. Christ has a place for us "wallflowers" too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)