mama...I poot!

Yes, my son has been telling me he pooped (for all of you non-Moose speakers out there). We've been sitting him on his potty right when he wakes up in the morning (or most mornings). Today, Big A got up with him as I couldn't drag my butt out of bed (yeah, going to bed early seems to have made me MORE tired). He sat our little guy on the potty, Moose stood up, went over to his diaper in the trash, and peed on the floor. Or something like that (I never have been good at relating stories). Big A seems to think that Moose knew he had to go and knew he normally goes in the diaper, hence picking it up. So ladies and gents, I've come to my big dilemma...



how do you potty train a boy? (or a girl for that matter...but seeing as I only have boys, lets go from here)

Instead of diapers, do I use...
1. Pull-Ups
2. Cloth training pants
3. Underwear
4. Birthday suit

Which is best? Which do you not recommend? Where would I even buy cloth training pants? What about naps and bedtime? What about poop?

When to sit him on the potty?
1. every 1/2 hour
2. every hour
3. other
4. sit his potty in front of the tv

Ok we have the potty watch (not sure if he'll keep it on but I can just sit it somewhere with its timer). It can go off every 30, 60, or 90 minutes. Do I start with 1/2 hour, then move up to an hour and more? And I'm being sarcastic with the tv thing - MIL says she sat her boys in front of Sesame Street to potty train. I'm not about that. Toilets belong in the bathroom in my house.

When does he start standing to pee? How long did it take (I know, I know...every kid is difference but I need something here)?

Any other advice (Angie, I'm hoping you comment after you've done this a few times and have some smart potty advice)??

Comments

Cloth training pants and every hour has worked for us so far! :)
EmmaP said…
it has been a long time for me and i still remember those stages. i was never a fan of the running around nakey kids... perhaps because i was raised all "proper", hehe. but i did regret puttng my oldest in pull-ups all the time. they felt like a diaper to him, so he went in them all the time.
Erin said…
You will have to let me know how this all works out! My oldest likes to sit on the big boy potty but it seems the only time he will go on the big boy potty is at grandma's! I think my youngest will be potty trained before the oldest one!
Unknown said…
Oh how I'm dreading the potty training days!!
JustAGirl said…
ww-not hard for me...i don't think it would be hard for you. expensive? idk if you would think it's expensive or not. it's the only thing that has ever worked for me so as far as i'm concerned it's worth it. you should hop on their web page and check it out! they have some good tools that are available for free also
Honey Mommy said…
My son was potty trained right after he turned 2. He picked up on it surprisingly quickly, which made me SO happy.

He told me he wanted to wear underwear, and we went for it. I took him to the bathroom regularly and let him run around with only underwear on. I only put him back in diapers for naps. He had a few wet accidents the first day, but it got less and less. After one poop in his underwear he never did that again either.

My experience is probably atypical though. We did use a reward chart, and every time he went on the potty he got a sticker to work up to a big reward and a few chocolate chips. After a month or so we dropped the reward system entirely.

It probably won't go as well with my second boy, but we'll see. I plan to start him this summer.

p.s. I don't teach my boys to pee standing up because they aren't big enough to do that on a real potty and I don't want to deal with the mess because they can't really aim... know what I mean?

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)