sour cream frosting {recipe}

Awhile back, I won a Wilton cupcake gift pack from the ladies over at Mayhem & Moxie. I was so excited to get this package in the mail!

It included a dessert stand (which I haven't used yet *tear*), an icing knife, whisk, measuring spoons, sprinkles, cupcake holders, a measuring cup, and icing gels! I've wanted many of these things for awhile, but nothing more than the icing gels. I used so much red food coloring to get Moose's birthday cakes the right colors (Huskers & Wonder Pets - why is everything red?); these gels would have made that so much easier.

So I was psyched when I finally got the idea (and time) to make cupcakes for the fun of it. I made cupcakes from scratch using the vanilla recipe from the Hello! Cupcake book (which I don't own but I got out of a magazine article highlighting the book a long time ago). The recipe called for 15-20 minutes; I left them in for 15; 11-12 would have been better.

Then came the icing. I love to frost things but usually use store bought frosting (unless I'm making sugar cookies). The icing knife was fabulous - I didn't think it'd make much difference but it did. I started out failing at a powdered sugar frosting. It was too thin no matter how much more I put in there.

Then I posted on Facebook about my fail and got all sorts of ideas from cream cheese to Crisco. I had Crisco but something else was missing for that recipe (I was not well prepared for these cupcakes). Then I looked on the Crisco website and found this fantastic chocolate sour cream frosting recipe.

Sounds gross, right? Not at all. Best icing I've ever had. A little rich but I don't mind rich when it comes to men and chocolate (well...chocolate). I wanted to share the recipe with you!

CHOCOLATE SOUR CREAM FROSTING

  • 2 cups (12 oz. pkg.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup powdered sugar


  1. MELT chocolate in microwave safe glass bowl on MEDIUM (50% power) 2 minutes or until melted; stir until smooth. Whisk in sour cream and powdered sugar. Frost cooled cake. Refrigerate cake until ready to serve.
    TIP: Frosting will not harden. 

    There you have it, the cupcakes were a bit dense but the frosting more than made up for it. I decorated them using the Wilton cow sprinkles (appropriate since I had my hubby take them to the feed store he works at) and dolphin sprinkles. 

    I went to eat one after lunch and they were gone today. So sad. I guess I'll have to make more!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)