how are you?

I saw this meme and I thought it fitting:

  Now, I'll be honest, my weekdays aren't looking much different than they normally do. We were already on Spring Break so I was already planning to have all four kids home with me. I usually have a plan, including quiet time stations/rotation stations during nap time.

   But many things have been canceled for us as well: piano lessons (we did opt out of virtual lessons for now, but may if this is extended), 4H everything (including regional club days which my boys were super bummed about not getting to perform their skit), a lot of ministry things for me, and Wednesday night ministry things for my kids. Honestly, even having people over for supper will be an issue with our family of 6. Any 4 or less families want to come over? The hardest thing for me was that we were planning to visit my grandma this weekend, whom I haven't seen since last Easter.

  For the most part, this is not going to disrupt our lives. We stay close to home most of the time. We read a lot and play board games a lot. I told my husband, at least we already like each other.

  But I know for me as an extrovert, this is going to be hard. I know for many of you that this is going to be hard. Many of your activities or vacations or jobs have been disrupted. So I want to encourage you to a few things:

  1. Do not neglect the things of the Lord. Church may be live-streamed, Bible studies canceled, but the Lord is not concerned with those things. He is about a relationship with YOU. He is about communing and dwelling in You. So open your Bible, get on your knees and pray, thank Him for the things you do have and the people you're isolated with. Be silent and still in this time - meditating on His Word and His character. This could be a wonderful time of spiritual renewal in all of our lives.

  2. Check on your neighbors. Call them and offer to go to the store for elderly or immunocompromised neighbors. Call your extrovert friends - yes, even if you hate talking on the phone, hearing the voice of a friend may be a very needed thing in the coming weeks. Pray for one another and with one another.

  3. Cook with your children. Yes, it will be messy and it will take longer. What an opportunity we have to teach them to be a little more mature in this time. This can go for other hobbies or activities. Teach them to play pitch or Dutch Blitz. I plan to read with my kids and bake with them and stitch with them. Maybe I'll have my pianist son teach me to play piano ;)

  4. Be sad and mourn....but don't stay there. Your vacation or concert was canceled. You can't go visit relatives. You can't eat out. You can't go to the library/Target/zoo, etc. I get it. I'm disappointed in some things too, but we cannot dwell there. We cannot dwell in fear or anxiety or depression or disappointment or stress. We must count our blessings (thanking God for them, not just counting them). We must focus on Christ in this time. He is the way-maker, the miracle worker, the only way to a joyful life (also an eternal life).

  5. Be kind. To others and to yourself. If you have TP, share it. If you bake some bread, share it. If you can, buy some flowers or a gift to be delivered to those home bound. Send a thank you note to your doctor and nurses. But if you don't follow a schedule, can't afford flowers, or don't bake with your kids, don't beat yourself up.

This is an opportunity to slow down, rest - real rest, and reevaluate your extracurriculars, your schedule, your busyness. We do not have to despair in this time. We can look forward to gathering with our church families again, our kids going to school again, hitting up the mountains or a beach for vacation again. That's ok too, but don't miss this time. Are you piling your family with too much to do? Are you working too much? Are your eyes focused on the things of the world?

Hit pause and evaluate. Pray about it. Then do the next right thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)