Simple Discipleship by Dana Allin (book review)

Discipleship is not something that has been a huge part of my walk with Christ. I was not really discipled in college when I first surrendered to Christ. I honestly didn't know much about it - accountability partners were a bigger thing then. While those do have some discipleship aspects to them, their goal is different, I think, if only slightly. Then we moved a lot before settling where we are now in Kansas. We have been here for eight years and discipleship has been something I've heard more and more about each year we are here. This is my year for it - I've asked someone to start discipling me and I've decided to disciple a girl I know.

Of course, I say it hasn't been a huge part of my walk but I have been discipling my children for going on 12 years now. This is natural discipleship for me - they are part of me, part of my home, I see them daily. Now, I have grown more intentional as they've grown - again, I just didn't know much about disciplining my children when my big boys were little boys. I am much more intentional with Princess and even the baby in ways that we talk about God and pray before meals and just weave God-talk into our lives.
image via Tyndale TBN 

Simple Discipleship by Dana Allin looked like such an interesting book. "Most discipleship resources are designed as mass productions - efficient for touching many, but often failing to see individuals grow in Christ." I found this to ring true so I was hoping for a tool to tailor discipleship to me and those around me.

What I really liked was that Allin talked about a mentor as more of a coach: "a coach is alongside the person and draws out of the other person." We don't want to train people to act just like us! We want to draw them closer to Christ as they develop into their own person, using their own strengths and talents.

I also enjoyed in the beginning of the book where Allin shared what one church member said when they were looking for a new pastor. Many members were talking about getting a pastor with certain degrees, making sure he could explain translations, etc. This one member said "that many churches are educated beyond their obedience. I think that quote might apply to our church." I could easily be one of those people. I enjoy gaining knowledge and sometimes equate that with wisdom. However, I struggle with many areas of spiritual disciplines because I haven't studied them or practiced them much. This was good for me to hear to discern where my heart is.

What I didn't like was this book was really hard to get through. Not that it's written too hard but it was boring. I can read a lot of things and I'm a pretty fast reader, but this felt like drudgery. I ended up skimming most of it - and the material is good, solid stuff.

I also dislike that the accompanying assessment costs money. What a ploy to get people to spend money on your book OH! and on your assessment. That frustrates me because it makes me feel like you want less for me to recognize my weaknesses in discipleship to fix than to make a profit.

Overall, this is probably a fine book with biblical ideas but it was boring and I feel like it's just a ploy to get your money on assessments that we don't actually NEED. We do need to look at discipleship individually and adjust to strengthen our weaknesses or learn to rely more on the Lord in those areas, but I don't think we need to do more than pray and use our brains. That's free.

Disclaimer, I received this book in order to write an honest review. All opinions are my own and may not be the same as yours. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)