The Winter War by Priscilla Shirer (A Prince Warriors sequel/book review)

My nine-year-old son has started to read The Prince Warriors trilogy by Priscilla Shirer. He's working his way through the second in the series. I loved when he came to me while reading the first series, saying, "Mom, there's a Bible verse in here!" He sure couldn't say that when reading "Diary of a Wimpy Kid." I love the faith infused in this Prince Warriors series. It's been fun to hear him tell his friends and older brother about this series (and it's worth 9 AR points!). So I had to read "The Winter War" by Priscilla Shrier, the first in the sequel series to The Prince Warriors.

Image via Amazon.com

"The Winter War" is basically an allegorical story, much like The Chronicles of Narnia and The Lord of the Rings series. There is a Christ figure (Ruwech), a God-the-Father figure (the Source), and even the Holy Spirit (The Sparks). There's an enemy (Ponèros) and his henchmen (Thayne and Lava Forgers). It took me a little while to figure out who was who in this book and I could be wrong about the Trinity figures - who is who in particular. Just like in Narnia, there is a real world and another world - in this series it is the spiritual realm of Ahoratos where the humans who come are Prince Warriors.

There are humans in the story, mostly kids, mostly from the first trilogy. Levi and his dad, Mr. J. Ar; Brianna, Xavier and Evan (brothers), Finn, Ivy. I appreciated that for the most part I could read this book without reading the first three books, although there were parts that were alluded to, I could get by without specific details.

My favorite part of this book was seeing a parallel to my own family. We are currently in the newborn season and it's been overwhelming, to be honest. And reading about Winter time in Ahoratos made me realize that this is a winter in our lives. It's a time that seems desolate and unfriendly, but is a time of rest and restoration, of growth. God gives us hard seasons where it may not look like much on the outside, but deep growth and restoration is happening beneath the surface. It's helped me realize that about this season. 

You can find a copy of The Winter War and the other Prince Warrior books on Amazon or other book retailers.

Disclaimer: I received this book in order to write an honest review. All opinions are my own and may not be the same as yours. Links are through AmazonSmile that supports Emmaus Biblical Seminary in Haiti - so you get a great book AND support the growth of God's kingdom!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)