Sacred Questions by Kellye Fabian (book review)

Since my surrender to Christ in 2014, I have changed in many ways - I don't talk the way I used to (I try really hard to not use bad words and to be thoughtful in my speech), I don't spend time with the kinds of people I used to (who weren't good influences), I don't see life the way I used to (for myself). In other ways, I KNOW I have changed but it's hard to see - I'm still impatient, get angry, and am selfish...but I have grown MORE patient, LESS irritable and offendable, and LESS selfish. Some days it's so hard to see. In those times that it's so difficult to see the change, the growth, the sanctification, I question myself. I question my salvation.

As Christians we are promised a re-birth, to become a new creation. So how should we feel when we can't see the change? We can question ourselves, our salvation or faith, or even God. Instead we should ask questions. "Sacred Questions" by Kellye Fabian allows room for such questions. In this yearlong journey, Fabian leads readers through Scripture passages with questions about themselves, God, and others.

I enjoyed the divisions in this book. There are twelve topics divided into four sections: the first to "ground your heart, mind, and soul in the truth tha tin Christ, you are unendingly loved and unshakably secure." The second section "begin[s] the outward movement, as you will confront the things that try to dislodge you from the truth that you are loved and secure." The third section will "turn your eyes, ears, and heart outward to join in the redemptive work God is doing in the world." Finally, the last section "will allow your life to speak and reflect your relationship with Jesus, doing good in the world with the Holy Spirit's help and inviting others into the life Jesus has granted you." While the book is written with the ability for readers to go through it in a year, the author gives allowance for readers to "engage the sections in whatever order you choose." It's difficult for me not to read a book from cover to cover, but I appreciate the freedom with this book. I had a rough time connecting to the first few sections but when I skipped (gasp, I know) to another section, "Grounded," I really started to enjoy the book.

I disliked the font size! It's so small! I have good eyes although I'm thinking I might be on my way to getting reading glasses. While I appreciate that all the Scripture is printed in the book, the print is really, really small in some places.
small font! Eek!
If you have questions about God but don't feel like there's space in Christianity for questions, read this book. It's ok to ask questions. God is bigger than our doubt! He can meet you in your questions and lead you closer to Him.

You can find Sacred Questions by Kellye Fabian on AmazonSmile or other book retailers!

Disclaimer: I received this book in order to write an honest review. All opinions are my own and may differ from others' opinions. I also use a link for AmazonSmile - if you buy with this link, a small (small) percentage goes to Emmaus Biblical Seminary in Haiti. They help equip Hatian leaders to go forth and spread God's kingdom!

Comments

Kellye Fabian said…
Thanks so much for the review! I am so grateful you're working through the book and that God is using it. And I'm so glad you skipped around!! Blessings to you! Kellye

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)