Jesus Loves Me: A Sing-Along Book illustrated by Gynux (children's book review)

"Jesus loves me
This I know
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong;
They are weak but He is strong.

Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so."

This is one of my daughter's favorite songs to sign along with (along with The Itsy Bitsy Spider and The Wheels on the Bus). She doesn't quite sing yet but will sing "me" at the end of the chorus in this song. It's pretty much as sweet as it sounds! I adore toddlers singing and loving music.
image via BookLook
I was really excited to see a book with this song in it! It's really a foundational song in a child's spiritual walk. Jesus loves me! Jesus loves you! That's it, people! He loves us! Amazing! We try to say this is just a song for toddlers but it's a song for us all. I believe the song "I Wanna Go Back" by David Dunn proves that.

However, this book was a big disappointment to me. I'm not sure quite what I was expecting because I saw the cover with its raccoon, weasel (??), and rabbit with their little instruments on the cover. That's really the whole book. These animals are gathering and playing instruments and singing as they walk along to listen to an elk or deer or something presumably tell them that Jesus loves them. Then they have a picnic, bonfire, and go home. It's really shallow as far as the art goes, even for a children's book. Even animals reading a Bible would have been great.

The book did include a second verse I was unaware of:

"Jesus loves me still today,
walking with me on my way.
Wanting as a friend to give
light and love to all who live."

I really love that. It continues on that Jesus is with us which is so important to understand. And I know that it's important, even still for me as an adult, to remember that He is with me.

I will continue to read this book to my little girl, but with a grain of salt. I want her to know that following Christ is not a Disney movie with animals talking and birds chirping and such. It's real hardship and dying to self. But it's amazing because He loves us and won't leave us.

Disclaimer: I received this book in order to write an honest review. All opinions are my own even if I'm a bit picky about books. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)