Finding Jesus: Faith, Fact, Forgery (on CNN March 5)

CNN has a show called "Finding Jesus: Faith, Fact, Forgery" and the 2nd season premieres on March 5 at 9PM ET/PT. One episode this season is about Thomas, or "doubting Thomas" as he can be known. 

If you don't know the story of Thomas, he was one of Jesus Christ's 12 disciples. Ever so faithful during the life of Christ, he is called the doubter because of the passage of John 20:24-29 where he says he will not believe that Christ was resurrected until he saw it for himself.

Many sort of scoff at this man for his doubting, but they overlook how faithful he was during the life of Christ. John 11:16 shares his passion for the Messiah in wanting to go with Jesus even if it meant his (Thomas') death.

I feel like Thomas is one of the more relatable characters in the Bible because of his momentary doubt. The story of Christ's life and resurrection is unbelievable without faith! And some are more hard-headed than others. I feel like my faith is a gift from God. Having not really been raised in the church outside of VBS and occasional Sunday school, catechism classes, and such, statistically, I probably should not be a believer. Kids generally take after their parents in matters of religion and faith. 

However, here I am, a believer in Jesus Christ as my savior. A sinner covered by His grace. This faith has helped me through so many life events. Small events such as quitting my college softball team because I felt God telling me to do so as it had become an idol. That seems like such a trivial thing but having played softball for 14 years at that time (I was 19 years old), it was a huge thing. I asked advice from believing friends, as I didn't really have a mentor at that time. And one of them asked me if I thought I would regret it looking back. 

There are moments I wish I'd played longer. The team was quite successful the year after I played. I missed the camaraderie associated with teammates. I missed the traveling and excitement of close games. 

I don't regret it for a moment. The reason being that I will follow God even when I don't want to or don't know if it's quite His voice I'm following (do you have that problem? was that You, Lord, or am I just talking to myself?). I do my very best to follow Him and eventually I see His wisdom.

The Lord has lead us through very financially lean times in our marriage. He brought us across the country and back with several job losses in those first seven years. In these closer years, he has brought us autism and epilepsy and a new baby. It's challenging to follow the Lord, and I'd be lying if I said I never doubted. But what I doubt are my choices, my faith, my convictions. 

The story of doubting Thomas is relevant to our modern day world because we can be so passionate about following Christ! Let's move to the jungle and evangelize a native people! Let's start a blog and write devotionals! Let's knock out slavery, homelessness, and all sorts of justice issues.

And yet when we hear His voice or even stories of Him, sometimes we doubt. Was that really the Lord? Would He really do that? Could He? And so we are all doubting Thomases.  

Disclaimer: I received compensation for writing this review. My opinions are still my own and I still think you should watch “Season 2 of Finding Jesus: Faith, Fact Forgery premieres Sunday, March 5 at 9 PM ET/PT on CNN.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)