The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell (book review)

I read "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman about 10 years ago, freshly married and wanting to love my spouse well. It helped me to know my primary love language (words of affirmation) and his (physical touch). That truly has helped our marriage this past decade.

image via amazon.com
When I had children"The Five Love Languages for Children" by Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell, I was hoping to end the book with knowing their love languages. I know I won't have that knowledge for my 16 month old for quite some time but for my 7 and 9 year olds, yes.

The most unfortunate part of this book is that there is no finite way to find out their love languages. The book recommends observation and experimentation (trying one language for several weeks, then another for other week) to determine love languages. I'm not saying these are not valid ways to find the primary love languages of your children (in fact, through observation and talking with my husband have determined our 7 year old's primary languages are physical touch and words of affirmation and our 9 year old's primary languages are physical touch and acts of service), but I was hoping for a quiz as in the adult version.

Otherwise, "The Five Love Languages for Children" was a good reminder of what the different love languages are, how to properly use them (examples), and how they affect our children. The best reminder was that you cannot love a child only in their primary love language but you need to use all of them. So really if you just love them with physical touch, words of affirmation, acts of service, quality time, and giving gifts then you should be set regardless of whether you realize their primary languages or not (in my opinion).

Disclaimer I received this book in order to write an honest review. All opinions are my own, even if they differ from others' opinions. Links are to AmazonSmile and if you purchase through those links, you will be supporting Emmaus Biblical Seminary in Haiti.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)