The Berenstain Bears' Country Cookbook by Mike Berenstain (book review)

We love the Berenstain Bear books around here. I've been reading them since I was a child and I love reading them to my children. They are some of the most helpful social stories, in my opinion.

I was excited to get to read "The Berenstain Bears' Country Cookbook (Cub-Friendly Cooking with an Adult)" by Mike Berenstain because I love when my boys help me in the kitchen. They do not do so with as much enthusiasm as when they were just a few years younger. Moose was still hesitant to help me but Squirt was VERY excited about this cookbook. He flipped through it and decided on a few dishes to make. I didn't have the ingredients for all of them so we had to pick and choose.

image via BookSneeze

We ended up making a Shepherd's Pie first. It was really good and very easy. Squirt helped me put the ingredients together and in no time, we sat down to a delicious kid and mom made meal. It was just fun to make something simple with him. I would use this recipe for a new baby meal, too. Very filling. I did add frozen peas to the recipe, which the book didn't call for, but I like to make things a little more nutritious when I can.

The next time we used the cookbook, we made Sub Sandwiches. I didn't have sub buns so I made some small french loaves. We mostly didn't follow this recipe, I guess - not using tomato (on the kids') or green peppers, but I did add bacon (so much for that nutritious stuff, right?). But the idea came from this book!

When I decide to take birthday treats to school for the boys, I would like to make the Race Car Cookies, which are chocolate covered wafers with chocolate covered caramels with Sprees as the wheels and fruit roll-up type things cut up for decoration. I know Moose would get a kick out of them, and maybe even agree to help me make them!

Disclaimer: I received this book in order to write an honest review. Others' opinions may or may not be the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)