The Uncommon Marriage Adventure by Tony & Lauren Dungy (book review)

One of the smartest pieces of marital advice we got and now give is to find another couple to mentor you. Nothing fancy, but just tell you about their marriage - the ups AND downs. Help you navigate these waters that are tumultuous just as often as serene. We have a wonderful couple who has been this to us for the past several years.
image via Amazon.com

That, in affect, is what "The Uncommon Marriage Adventure" by Tony and Lauren Dungy is - in devotional form. This once a day devotional tells the ups and downs of the Dungy marriage and family life. Nothing new under the sun, necessarily, but great advice paired with biblical wisdom.

I didn't get to read this through with my husband but combed through it myself. I didn't just learn from Lauren but from Tony's husband perspective. Sometimes I think I need marriage advice and counseling much more than my selfless husband.

He has Day 64 down perfectly: "Be willing to step up and do a little more than usual when the situation requires it." This message is paired with the Scripture 1 John 3:11, 16 which talks about giving up our lives for our brothers and sisters. Big A has done that gracefully these past few weeks of gestation. He's done dishes every day (even yesterday when he was ill himself) because that smell just makes me ill. He's cooked most of our meals. He's brought me cereal at 6:30 every morning. It's just a beautiful reminder to me of how Christ loves us.

That's the kind of selfless love that "The Uncommon Marriage Adventure" urges us toward. Loving one another as Christ loves us; doing for others because we love them without expecting a return gesture. Old-fashioned romance that doesn't seem old when you're in it.

Disclaimer: I received this book in order to write an honest review. I have done so although my opinions may differ from others'. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)