The Love Dare for Parents by Kendrick Brothers Publication, LLC (book review)

I saw "Fireproof" with Kirk Cameron and saw how "The Love Dare" reignited his marriage. I've heard several stories of the like that I've believed in enough to buy the book for my parents. So I had high expectations for "The Love Dare for Parents" thinking it would give me really firm ideas of how to really connect with my kids.
image via Icon Media

If you have a rocky relationship with your kids, your slightly older kids (elementary age and up), this is a book for you. I'm not saying there isn't value in this book if you have a good relationship with your children.

I did get some great ideas for how to further connect with my kids, such as teaching them manners in reference to Romans 12:10 which says, "Give preference to one another in honor." Day 30 is "Love takes time" which focuses on turning off the media and screens to spend time with one another in reference to Ephesians 5:15-16: "Be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time." That's really important to me, how I spend my time. I know I waste minutes and hours sometimes, but my family time is really important to me and my family. We try to protect time with us as much as possible without becoming total hermits.

I did disagree with one point in the book. Day 18 "Love models the way" says that "It is OK to respectfully disagree behind closed doors, but a father and mother should always be a united front and in total agreement when they are in front of their children, because you are defining the concepts of marriage, unity, communication, and reconciliation in their growing minds. They will naturally tend to follow you example, whether it is one of love or bitterness." How will children learn how to respectfully fight if it's ALWAYS done behind closed doors? I think it's healthy for children to see that mom and dad may have different opinions but they talk it out until they come to a mutual agreement over something. Yes, some arguments should be behind closed doors but if children learn from example, not all arguments can be secret. My husband and I have learned to fight respectfully (yes, fight - not "argue" or "disagree" - let's be real for a minute, we all fight), even in front of our children. We aren't always perfect but our kids will know that we aren't perfect - that we have different opinions and ways of thinking, but that we can come together as one united body, backing each other up.

No book tells us one perfect way to raise our family, of course. I wasn't looking for that, but I was really disappointed with how to practically get together with my kids, to whom I'm pretty close at this point in our lives (remember, they're barely out of diapers comparatively to others' kids). I really wish this book was deeper and felt it rather shallow, but it could be the perfect starting point for someone.

Disclaimer: I received this book in return for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)