Noah the movie vs. Noah in the Bible

As I'm showing the Noah movie featurettes on my blog, I had to ask myself how I felt about the movie. Any time there is a feature film of a Biblical story there are bound to be artistic interpretation. Is it Biblical to show the stories if they take liberation with the characters or events?

My Bible study came across Philippians 1:15-18 during our time this week together.

"It's true that some are preaching out of jealousy and rivalry. But others preach about Christ with pure motives. They preach because they love me, for they know I have been appointed to defend the Good News [this is Paul talking]. Those others do not have pure motives as they preach about Christ. They preach with selfish ambition, not sincerely, intending to make my chains more painful to me. But that doesn't matter. Whether their motives are false or genuine, the message about Christ is being preached either way, so I rejoice. And I will continue to rejoice."

I second Paul's words. I never figured this movie would be entirely biblical, but if it makes one person say to themselves, 'hmmmm good movie. I wonder what the Bible really says," and they open their Bible to find the passages and that leads them to reading more of their Bible and leads them to Christ, then this movie is worth it.

My attention was brought to this op-ed published yesterday by USA Today. Geoffrey Morin, head of communications for The American Bible Society, wrote this piece titled, "NOAH spurs debate pitting art vs. Bible." It's about this very thing. Read the article and let me know what you think. Should filmmakers be able to take liberty of such sacred works or should they stick to the facts?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)