Sinner's Creed by Scott Stapp (book review) and Slow Suicide by Scott Stapp (song review)

My sister and I were big fans of Creed back when "Arms Wide Open" hit the airwaves. I wasn't living a Christian lifestyle then but thought I was (ha) and was really attracted to a mainstream Christian band like them.

Well, little did I know until reading "Sinner's Creed" by Scott Stapp that they weren't a Christian band! I was really surprised to read that! I didn't know there were any internal band problems until the band broke up - I heard that Stapp had lost his faith and was partying. I was really disappointed (talk about the pot calling the kettle black at this point in time) in him. Of course, the tabloids and such had it wrong. They weren't a Christian band, there were problems from being labeled as that, Stapp wasn't living a righteous life for most of the band's popularity (main stream popularity).

I thought "Sinner's Creed" was a really inviting book, very open to Stapp's upbringing filled with abandonment, abuse, searching. In the background of this upbringing is his faith - always pulling at him, even when he's pulling away. I don't want to give too much of the book away but it's just always wonderful to hear how someone so lost in fame can find the Lord. 

Stapp talks about his son a lot in the book (his first son who "Arms Wide Open" was about) and how he brought him through so much, even a suicide attempt. I'm always interested in hearing stories of parents who were brought to their knees by the cross of our Lord after they've had children. It's also always interesting to hear about the upbringing of children of stars. 

Definitely a book for those who were Creed fans, just love having his perspective on what happened to him and the band!

I also got to review Stapp's new CD, "Proof of Life," which included the single Slow Suicide. My husband wasn't really a fan of this song in particular, too much of a heavy rock sound for him. I have a more eclectic take on music - I like most types.



The song really goes along with the book where it seems that during Creed's mainstream success, Stapp really just let life happen to him instead of standing his ground. He wasn't confident in who he was in the Lord and so let so much slip that it destroyed him to the point of falling to his knees (which is often how the Lord lets us work - falling so far that you have nowhere to look but up to Him).

Disclaimer: I received this book and CD in order to write an honest review. Others may or may not have the same experience(s) as I've had but my opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)