clothing

No, this is not a fashion piece (although, if you do enjoy fashion, Together in Ten is a cute site). I was reading "This Momentary Marriage" and I'm reading it very slowly (very) because it's a complex piece with a lot to take in.

Anyway, I came to the part where he's talking about clothing. Why we wear it - Adam and Eve clothed themselves in shame after disobeying and rebelling from God. It said that God dressed them after their clothes weren't suitable because it was appropriate to show that they were not what they ought to be. So we are not what we ought to be - perfect and holy.

The book says that nudity is a rebellion against God because He clothed us, deciding that because of the fall it was appropriate to show that we weren't what we should be. Then it says that using clothing as a way to show power, prestige, and something else was wrong as well because clothing is a statement of our sin, not something to be proud of. It says clothing should be simple.

I'm wondering then, is it wrong to want to feel beautiful in clothing? Is it wrong to shop for clothing that fits us well and is beautiful? Should we wear only simple clothing? I know some denominations of Christians feel this way: Amish, Mennonite, Apostolic Christians (and I'm sure there are more). But simple to me is a t-shirt and jeans. Simple is also a matter of opinion. What is simple? Ugly, beautiful, plain, elegant, expensive, cheap, long-lasting? Is fashion wrong?

I don't know the answer(s) to this but I plan to investigate and I've been speaking to the Lord about it. Do you have opinions on this?

Comments

Stacey said…
I've been mulling this over a bit. I'm not 100% sure what I think, but I do have a few thoughts.

First, we are not to draw attention, and for females, that is often sexual attention, right? So modesty is key. But it goes beyond that. It's a matter of the heart. If you are doing it all legalistically, that's no better.

Secondly, we are supposed to stand out as Christians, but I don't think that means that we should wear rags. I think we need to dress out of respect for the One who created us.

Lastly, I think our focus should always be on the eternal, so saving up for that fabulous pair of jeans isn't necessarily something that should be at the top of the list.

Wearing functional, modest, yet not dowdy clothes, is where I think I'm at.

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)