To Be Perfectly Honest by Phil Callaway (book review)

I honestly wasn't sure what to expect from To Be Perfectly Honest: One Man's Year of Almost Living Truthfully Could Change Your Life. No Lie. by Phil Callaway. I gathered he was a comedian, so I thought, at most, I'll get a few laughs.

Well, I was right about the laughs. Phil is a funny guy. And his honesty throughout the books - good and bad - made him very personable. I felt like I was talking to a friend. It was really neat to see him come clean about how he's bashful about sharing the gospel (so am I), how he spoke with God about his mother's Alzheimer's, and the questions his friends came up with for him during this year stint. One of my favorite quotes from the books was this prayer:
"I'm sorry.
I love you, but I have trouble understanding you.
Your servant,
Phil"
I sometimes I a lot of trouble understanding God or His ways. I know I don't need to know and sometimes He doesn't want me to know, but it's hard. Doesn't mean I don't love Him just the same, but it's hard.

To be perfectly honest (pun intended), this book was really convicting, too. Callaway talked about how he is a lapsed Pharisee - glad to know I'm not in my own club with that admission. I can be so judgmental about everything. Callaway also talks about how "we're commanded to weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice. Strange thing is, I have no trouble with the first part...But what about Rejoice with Those Who Rejoice 101? I'm flunking that class." This, along with a Bible study I'm doing, has me convinced that I'm a grumbler, a complainer, jealous. God doesn't want me to envy someone who has a Kindle Fire but be glad for them!

I really enjoyed reading this book and hope to read more of Callaway's books in the future, except maybe his golf one. I don't do golf.


Disclaimer: I received this book in order to write an honest review. Others may or may not have the same experience(s) I've had with the book and/or publisher.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)