Train Like a Mother (review)

Two years ago, I wrote a book review about Run Like a Mother. It stands as one of my favorite books: running or non-running related! Dimity McDowell and Sarah Bowen Shea made running relatable for a newbie like myself. And they've done it again in their new book, Train Like a Mother.

In the years between their books, Dimity and SBS have created a wonderful online community centered around their blog, Another Mother Runner, and Facebook page. I am a consistent commenter on both platforms; because I feel a sense of community there, a camaraderie that I haven't found (as far as running in concerned) elsewhere.

But beyond their online community, Dimity and SBS have written a wonderful book. I'm excited to try out one of their training plans later this year. I plan to use their 5K plan to help "train" (mentor) a group of ladies to their first 5K. I'm nervous about that, but so much of the pressure is off of me because of the quality of these training plans. I don't have the knowledge of how to make a good plan, so it's comforting to me to know that it's already done. There are plans for a 5K, 10K, half marathon, full marathon, and even a bike training plan for when you're injured. In fact, there are two plans for each (except the bike one): finish it and own it. Oh boy! When I decide to train for a full marathon, I am planning to use the finish it plan from this book. I trust these women to get me across the finish line.

I love reading the answers to the questions that Dimity and SBS put out to us, the "tribe," in survey form or on Facebook. Page 113 features your very own S Club Mama, Randi!! I was excited to see my answer used to tell about my first race. 2.3 miles where I was the only adult besides the lady leading us. And yes, I really do hate the stagnant air of the gym. Agonizing.

Within Train Like a Mother, this duo answers so many questions about crosstraining, relays, running pregnant, strollers, and whether you should wear underwear or go commando. There is so much information in this book. One of my favorite things is the race day check list. I'm not a natural planner but I hate when I forget things, so it's again comforting to me to have this laid out!

I laughed really hard throughout this book. I cried during parts. I smiled throughout! It's amazing what a sense of community that you can gather from women you've never met, but I swear it's true. I hope to meet Dim and SBS one day, but until then I will continue to contribute when I can to the tribe. And I really encourage you to read Train Like a Mother (and Run Like a Mother).


Disclaimer: I received this book because Dimity and Sarah are awesome - and so I can write an honest review. Others may or may not have the same experience(s) that I've had with the book/online community/authors. Although I hope they do.

Comments

Apryl said…
I'd been wanting to read Run Like a Mother for a long time, and I finally just ordered it in a batch of "new" books. Now I find out I have to order another one?! :) Look forward to reading it!

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)