What's in the Cat's Hat? game (review)

I can't remember where I first heard about The Cat in the Hat game, What's in the Cat's Hat? However, I do remember thinking that my kids would love it! We watch a lot of The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That and have 2 books to go along with the show. Even Squirt enjoys the show; he'll go around singing "go go go go...blah blah blah blah" (jibbering the theme song...it's pretty good). I also saw that the game was advertised as a sensory tool, so I thought Moose could get some use out of it, also.

The game is very simple. Put something (an orange, toy car, remote control, anything) in the hat. Then there are little flaps where you can see a shadow, smell it, and touch it. Plus you can feel the hat, too. There are cards to go along that give you directions of how you can feel it (with your elbows, for example) or smell it. You can't see in to the hat because there's a flap there just open enough (secured with velcro) to put something inside.

Moose right away wanted to wear the hat. That's the majority of how this hat has spent its time in our home. Of course, you're supposed to wear a hat, but it kind of takes away from the game. And he gets upset because he can't really wear it because of the flap covering the head opening. I'd love if that piece came all the way off so he could wear it when he wanted.


Moose understands the game pretty well, although we don't use the cards. It's easier just to verbally give him directions, but older kids would do well with cards (especially if you're playing with a few people). He's just getting in to guessing games, so he rarely guesses correctly but it's opened the door to us playing "I spy with my little eye" - which is an easier version of this game, I think (basically what you're guessing is out in the open instead of hidden).

Moose feeling the monster truck hidden in the Cat's Hat

I think that this is a wonderful idea for a game! The Cat in the Hat always has so many wonderful things hidden deep inside his hat, so this segues into the show and books well. My only big critique is that they allow the hat to be worn as a hat sometimes (which wouldn't be hard to do, just make the cover piece velcro all the way around). Otherwise, I couldn't see a shadow of our item in the shadow window and I couldn't even smell an orange. However, most things wouldn't smell through a hat anyway.

We will keep playing What's in the Cat's Hat? and I believe I will offer it to be used in Moose's classroom next year. I believe that kids can learn a lot from this game about their senses. You can find your own What's in the Cat's Hat? and other Dr. Seuss games at Toys R Us and specialty stores. For more information visit I Can Do That! Games.

Disclaimer: I received What's in the Cat's Hat? game in order to write an honest review. All opinions are my own. Others may or may not have the same experience(s) I've had with the product and/or company.

Comments

That looks like a fun game, I will have to check it out.

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)