Sunday, May 22, 2011

influence

One of my favorite things about running is hearing that I've had some sort of influence on another person. Health has become very important to me - my body is God's temple, so I want to care for it; I love my family so I want to be around as long as possible for them. To hear that I've impacted someone else's life is very humbling, first of all, because I "can do all things [running] through Christ who strengthens me." These miles are not my own! Each step is guided by God because I seriously do not have the strength [and sometimes ambition] to do them myself.

However, as great as it is to be asked for running advice or to be told by a friend that I'm inspiring, my biggest compliment was paid to me after my long run on Saturday. I ran by our house a total of 3 times before ending and I stopped briefly each time - to get sports drink, energy gels, and kisses (and use the potty once). Each time I stopped, Moose asked if he could go run. I told him when I was finished with my run, we could go on a run. So after my 13.2 God-lead miles, I ran a little longer - with my son. This is what I've wanted out of my running; for my sons to see that exercise is normal and fun!

So if I'm ever asked my favorite run ever again, it won't be a half marathon or even a really sunny day (which is true because I prefer cloudy), but my first run with my son. That is until both sons can run with me.

4 comments:

Jennifer Leigh said...

Awww that's so sweet! How long did your son last?

Our Country Road said...

Love it! What a great moment!!

Shell said...

What a fabulous example you are for your boys!

Rachel said...

Sww, that is sweet! What amazing way to spend time with him!

happy followers