Disney movies

When The Princess & The Frog came out, there was much ado about the voodoo in the movie. I'll admit, I was taken aback by this practice that many still actually practice. However, after watched Snow White during my run yesterday, I came to the realization that many Disney movies talk about or show witchcraft or magic of some sort (whether for good or bad). Here's the list I came up with.

The Little Mermaid
Snow White 
The Santa Clause
Cinderella
Anastasia
Sleeping Beauty
Pirates of the Caribbean
Enchanted
Twitches
Halloweentown
Freaky Friday
The Sword in the Stone
Mary Poppins
Beauty & the Beast
Aladdin
Alice in Wonderland (??)
Peter Pan
Pinocchio
Fantasia

Some of my favorite Disney movies are in that list! I have no problem with my kids watching those (except perhaps Pirates of the Caribbean but that's too old for them), so why did I (and so many others) have a problem with the Princess & the Frog movie? Because the other magic seems more like pretend whereas people really "use" voodoo? I'm not sure, but I've thought about it and am going to get the movie from the library. I want to see...well, first off about the voodoo. What's it like? Is it any worse or better than the other magic in movies? I also am curious as to how New Orleans fits into a movie about a princess.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on magic in kid movies? Do you let your kids watch them?

Comments

~Amanda~ said…
You have to remember that voodoo is a cultural practice as are Paganism, Wicca (sp?), etc. Many Native cultures also use a form of 'magic' as regular practice for medicine, agriculture, etc. There are practices that other religions upkeep that many of us find shocking as well.

The voodoo in this movie isn't anything to worry about. Without giving away the whole synopsis, it all fits. I thought it was a good movie....Emma loves it.
Apryl said…
I think that magic in movies is not a big deal as long as parents KNOW what their kids are watching and TALK with their kids about it. We watched Princess and the Frog, the voodoo didn't bother me, but I didn't think it was that great of a movie either... :)
Linda said…
I totally understand where you are coming from although I have not seen that particular movie.

When I was a teenager I went to a "scary" movie based on a true story. Everyone was laughing and I was horrified because I knew in my spirit that the demonic things happening could really have happened because there IS a spirit world.

When you have the Spirit of God living in you it recognizes that which is from another spirit. It gives you a different perspective in what your kids watch, for sure.

Hey, I have something for you and didn't see you in church yesterday! Will you be there next Sunday?

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)