Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Saturday's Race Report

My tooth is not feeling 100% yet (I'm writing this on Monday) but hopefully by this weekend...I can't say that 13.1 miles in pain sounds like fun. However, I did make it through 5 miles that way last Saturday.

Big A & I ran, for the second year, in the Applejack Festival 5 Mile Fun Run/Walk. It was a chilly morning (although not as cold as 2009) and cloudy (my favorite running weather). We got the boys out of the van and were loading them into the stroller when Big A saw the right tire was flat. Squirt & I went to register us for the race while Moose went to air the tires up with daddy. They got back with mere minutes to spare before the start - only to realize the left tire was flat. Oh dear.

My Superhero Husband decided to run with the flat tire. After about 1/2 a mile he told me to go ahead of him (thankfully because it was really slow going and I was feeling it!!), so I stretched my legs out and ran! I didn't stop running the whole 5 miles either! When I felt like walking, I just told myself "it's easier to keep running. If you walk, you'll want to walk more. Just focus on the person in front of you and catch 'em!" And that's just what I did. I passed quite a few people (bragging? yes...but it felt good!)! I had forgotten how hilly this town was (or I didn't notice last year when I walked it) - phew!

I only got passed once. I passed this young couple (or siblings idk), then they passed me. Then at the very end, I sprinted past them! I sprinted to finish with a time of 50:57 - so proud of myself. I know it's not a fast time but with as many hills as there were, I wasn't expecting that kind of time. It felt good to have a nice good run like that.

Big A finished after me (not sure his time but enough time for me to use the restroom and walk around a bit so a few minutes at least) with the boys. He made it - broken stroller and all! The tire that was flat (left) was shaking so badly - probably 2" on either side just wobbling. Two spokes had broken. Big A said that our doctor (who was helping put on the run) saw him at mile 4 (it was so nice to have her cheering me on right then) and asked to take the boys. He hadn't realized how bad the tire was so he declined the offer. After the race, he said he probably should have left them with her LOL. Oh well, it all turned out fine. We left our stroller up there to get fixed at a bike shop.

I was very proud of myself and my husband. Now...countdown to the half-marathon (4 days).


Rae said...

Awesome job!!

Theresa said...

What a nice thing to do with the family. I hope your tooth is better soon.

Muthering Heights said...

That's awesome!!! Way to go!!

Linda said...

Hey church friend! I just discovered your blog! I'm excited to get to know you better.

Colleen (Shibley Smiles) said...

WOW What an awesome job. I need to start running again I miss it.

Feel Free to Come link up


zbsports said...

Good race report, the pictures are great and look like that the race is tough. Thanks for sharing us detailed race report like this.

happy followers