Sunday, September 26, 2010

race report preview

I don't have any pictures to share (although I looked smashing) but hopefully my family will email me some soon so I can show you all!
This morning was so cold it caught your breath. And when I shed my jacket, it was worse. After we started, I didn't feel cold until the end (when I was freezing). The course was supposed to be really hilly and I was scared, but it wasn't very bad (we think that it's because we trained on semi-hilly terrain).
The worst part about the race was stopping at the first water stop about 2 miles in to use the porta potty. I even used one before we started but things get to understand. Took 5 whole minutes (lots of people, 2 portas) to get back on course. But once we did, I didn't feel like walking until the very end. Even when we had to go up this mile-long hill (not super steep, just long).
I wasn't going super fast...never did the whole race (and I was very snail-ish at the end), but I didn't walk at all. That was my goal alongside finishing was to not walk.
Mile 13 brought some almost-tears when I saw my family cheering us on (my mom, sisters, a boyfriend, and most importantly, my sons), especially when Moose started yelling for me. So we hustled to the finish line! I held hands with my husband (who I have been together with for 6 years this past Saturday) as we crossed the finish line. He's my Superman - slowing down for me even though it was so hard for him to go that slow.
I received my medal from a Marine - cool. The medals are all hand-crafted, one-of-a-kind blown glass. Very cool; I'll try to get a picture up tomorrow. Then Big A & I went through, got a bagel, banana, chocolate milk, water, more bread and left the runners' area. We met up with Moose and my sister Pookie - brought tears to my eyes. I had to keep going so we kept going and then talked to a friend who ran the half marathon (very quickly), too. I actually saw a 10K runner I knew, and 2 half-marathoners (who both finished in very good time of just under and over 2 hours). Our ending time (that Big A saw and said was the gun time, not chip time) was 2 hours 34 minutes. I'm very proud of that! I finished running 13.1 miles.
My knees hurt to all get out right now. I have Biofreeze on them - brr. I've been guzzling Gatorade and bananas, too. Now I'm just ready to relax...and maybe gloat a little bit. :D


Theresa said...

Great job Randi. That is amazing!!!

The Jogger Blogger said...

That is awesome girl! Congrats on such an accomplishment:)

In Light of the Truth... said...

You did awesome, girl! So so proud of you!!!

zbsports said...

Great, I was entertained by the post. I learn more things on it. Thanks!!!

Julie said...

That is quiet impressive Randi! I believe it would take me all day to run the marathon!

Honey Mommy said...

Wahoo! You did awesome! I am proud of you lady.

happy followers