Potty Training: Day 1 (at the halfway point)

For the past week, I have been hyping up potty training. Moose & I bought him some big boy underwear - Cars (of course) and some that look like Big A's (so cute) and we had some whitey tighties at home already.

When I would get him dressed in the morning or ready for bed, I would get out a pair of underwear. I held it up and tell him that 'soon you get to wear big boy underwear....but not today...but soon.' I'd put them back in his drawer. After awhile, he started to get a little mad when I put them away.

I picked him up some M&Ms and stickers, printed off a sticker chart. I put all of that up in the bathroom last night and told him that "tomorrow you get to wear big boy underwear and use the potty!" I explained that when he peed he'd get an M&M and sticker for his chart. He seemed very excited (and angry I wouldn't let him have an M&M).

We started off the day lucky - he pooped in his overnight diaper. Hey, I was a little concerned with cleaning poo out of his big boy underwear. Yuck.

So far we have been through the Lightening McQueen undies, a green pair of undies, and are into a whitey tighty pair. 2 accidents, several trips to the potty (every half hour). He's taking a nap now so he'll probably wake up wet (I seriously doubt he'll even notice when he pees himself). I am not sure if I want to stick him in a diaper (or Pull-Up) for naps but I guess if he doesn't wake up and notice...oh well? Any tips on this point are welcome.

So I wouldn't say this day has been unsuccessful. The diapers are still in my closet and not on his bum. But I would like at least one successful trip to the toilet today. But we've only just begun.

EDIT TO ADD: We had success people!! Around 7:30 this evening the kid peed in his potty. He got 2 M&Ms and a sticker for his chart. I am so proud!! Thanks for all of the comments and advice about naps and bedtime.

Comments

Unknown said…
Looking forward to hearing how it all goes , I guess I'll be introducing Oli to the potty soon enough. The thought of potty training scares me!
Me said…
Yay! Good job! Potty training is HARD! Even if you don't get even ONE successful potty trip you're getting it into his head and that's huge!

Emma's off and on with potty training but doing a LOT better lately. I bet if I really pushed it she'd be completely out of diapers...as it is I'm really just letting her do her own thing...not quite ready to let her grow up, as cute as she looks in her little girl undies.

Good luck! I heard that if you do it bootcamp style it takes a total of about 3 weeks and they're good.

Oh, and naptimes and bedtimes...I stick Emma in a diaper. It's your own personal preference really :-)
We still use regular diapers for naps and bedtime. It's easier, cleaner, and a signal that it's time to sleep. Don't use Pull-Ups...they're about as absorbant as a swim diaper. Ew.
Hang in there! You're doing all the right things! Give some time and if there's still NO progress, you can stop and try again in a couple months. As for naptime, for quite awhile I put a pull-up on Eli for naptime, until I started noticing he was staying dry most of the time, then I braved it. Now he just wears pull-up at night, and we'll do the same deal. When I notice he's staying dry most nights (and he does stay dry SOME nights) then we'll try him in underwear then too. Often he gets up during the beginning of naptime to go potty and occasionally in the night or first thing in the morning, so pull-ups work well as opposed to a diaper for him. I REALLY didn't want him waking up early cuz he peed himself so that's why I did it that way. Hope that helps!
Anonymous said…
Just remember patience patience patience...all kids go at their own pace...and the best thing you can do is be loving and encouraging even when you wanna scream and give up. Go mama.
EmmaP said…
with my oldest 2 i used pull-ups. what a waste. they were absorbent enough that they didn't care if they wet them, cuz they didn't feel it. With my daughter I got smart. Only Pull-ups when we were out running errands. That way, if she used a potty, we didn't waste a diaper. but if she haad an accident, I wasn't carrying around soiled underpants all day.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Good work!
The Gypsy Mama said…
Hang in there, Girlfriend! We are in this together. My laundry room has been taken over by the piles and piles of pee pee covered sheets, undies, blankets, pjs - you name it! ;)

Potty training can make even the most patient mama lose it - in those moments, try rewarding yourself with M&M's - you've earned 'em!!

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)