fame without accountability

On the eve of Thanksgiving, I was not prepared to write on the Adam Lambert controversy. I didn't watch the AMAs but heard a TON about it. Curiosity got ahold of me and I watched his performance on YouTube. I was sickened, especially when I learned that he did those things "in the moment." First of all, his voice sucked. Badly. Secondly, it wasn't even the kiss that I took offense to (although it seemed out of place and a ploy for him to be a gay advocate), but the fake oral sex and when he pretended to stick his hand up the girl's crotch. What the heck? Who does that?

But what really pushed my buttons was when I saw his interview on CBS Today Show. He doesn't even apologize that young people and children saw this outrageous display of disgustingness. He says he's not a baby-sitter? Excuse me. You have a responsibility to think about your fans (live and via television)! How disgusting. It is performers like him who don't care about their audiences that give way to music that is inappropriate for children to hear. I don't understand performers of any kind who don't understand that they are held (or should be held to) a modern-day noblesse oblige.

Yes, parents should listen to the music their children listen to and discern what's appropriate. But when this American Idol goes on live national television to perform a brand-new song, parents expect to see that American Idol. Not this nasty perversion of the once-loved American Idol contestant.

I am just appalled more at his nonchalance over the issue than the performance himself. Mr. Lambert, grow up and be accountable for your actions. And get a voice coach.

Also, props to GMA for canceling the Adam Lambert concert on their show. No, he probably wouldn't have done those things in the morning but this is a price he paid for being "risky."

Comments

Etzkorn Family said…
Hello - This is my first time commenting and I love your blog!!

You took the words right out of my mouth!! So glad my kids were not up and I almost had to turn the channel it was so gross!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!
Stacey said…
OH MY WORD! I never watched, nor did I hear about it until now. I'm not even going to click the link. He doesn't deserve my attention for a second. Disgusting.
Me said…
ewww! I didn't hear anything about this until now, but seriously? I agree completely with what you're saying. Wow. People these days!
I'm such an old lady I didn't know anything about this until I saw it on Bill O'Reilly...

Either way, it's disgusting. Where our society has gone is disgusting. And sadly, what the guy said (I've never even heard of him before this!) was true; women performers have been doing this stuff for yrs and it's been okay. Nope, that's totally inappropriate, too!

My husband and I talk about this kind of stuff all the time--in 30 yrs, when our children have children, what are they going to be shocked by? Elvis was shocking at first, and now there's this. I'm scared to think what disgusting-ness is next.

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)