Atlas Girl by Emily T. Wierenga (book review)

I'll be honest (because I do try to always be), I did not like this book, "Atlas Girl" by Emily T Wierenga, to begin with. The writing was more poetic, less straight forward and the chronology was not in order (both on purpose, I think). I just had a hard time getting into the book.

I couldn't relate with the author and her eating disorder or her mom's cancer. But I persevered mostly because I needed to write this review. And I actually really enjoyed the book in its entirety. Wierenga is honest and writes very intimately about her struggles, her marriage, her relationship with her family.

She shares parts of her "mum's" journals (I always wanted to call my mom "mum" or "ma" but never did) and I really relate to her mom. She was an at-home mom to a missionary-turned-pastor and wrote a lot I could relate to:

"I am trying to make a conscious effort to make each day count (easier said than done) as it scares me how quickly the weeks and months slip by, with nothing worthwhile accomplished - nothing of lasting value...the daily "drudge" which is very necessary to a smooth-running household but leaves one wondering if there's something missing." Amen! I long very much to make something lasting in this world but feel very much like the author's mum. Most of the pages I have dog-earred are those journal pages.

And the rest of the book is just moving; I saw it was supposed to be a travel memoir but although there is much travel in the book, I was really moved by the mood of the book - very intimate. It's very beautiful.

Disclaimer: I received this book from Baker Publishing Group in order to write an honest review. Others may or may not share my opinions but they are all my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOB Society: Bragging on Boys

Greater (movie review)

We Choose Virtues (review & giveaway!)